What is Primobolan?
Also popularly known as Methenolone, Primobolan is an oral/injectable anabolic steroid that is used by bodybuilders to encourage increased lean muscle mass; prevent muscle wastage and enhance physical performance and strength.
In fact, thanks to its long acting and mild anabolic effects – plus its low androgenic properties – it is considered one of the safest anabolic steroids around, as it can confidently be used by both men AND women without fear of liver toxicity or aromatization.
But that’s not all it can do…
It has been found to be beneficial in the treatment of underweight children (malnutrition), premature infants, osteoporosis and sarcopenia.
- Chemical name – 17ß-hydroxy-1-methyl-5a-androst-1-en-3-one acetate.
- In its liquid form it is known as methenolone enanthate. As an oral tablet it is known as methenolone acetate.
- Active life: oral methenolone (4-6 hours); liquid (injectable) methenolone (10-14 days).
- Difference between Primobolan depot and oral Primobolan: Primobolan depot is an injectable version of the hormone which is attached to the large enanthate ester (production of this stopped in 1993 so any injectable versions you find are from underground labs). Primobolan is comprised of the same active steroid hormone in Methenolone; HOWEVER it is attached to the small acetate ester (making it suitable for oral use).
Why is Primobolan used by athletes and bodybuilders?
Where to start!
For one, it is one of the few female friendly anabolic steroids on the market. Similar to Anavar, Primobolan has got a very low virilization rating, meaning women can safely use it without having to worry about developing facial hair, baldness or a deeper voice – brill!
Two, there is the whole history behind Arnold Schwarzenegger using Primobolan during his Mr Olympia days. Even though this has never been 100% confirmed; his famous physique has created a higher demand for this steroid, as let’s face it – we all want to look like Arnie.
Yet these points are just the tip of the iceberg…
One of the many reasons Primobolan (Primobolan depot especially) is used by athletes and bodybuilders is because:
- As this DHT based anabolic steroid is not 17-alpha-alkylated but 1-methylated (for oral bioavailability), it can be used between cycles – during ‘off time’ – to help maintain muscle mass and strength gains. In fact, it is perfect for cutting cycles as it can prevent muscle wastage and instead help you to maintain all of the muscle you gained bulking, whilst allowing you to benefit from a calorie deficient diet. With a well-planned diet, Primobolan can produce good conditioning effects, which will leave you looking harder, more defined and chiselled.
- Its potency is only slightly lower than Deca Durabolin.
- It causes less inhibition than testosterone or Deca Durabolin (in terms of anabolic effects) because of its lack of conversion into DHT; low central nervous system activity, and reduced risk of aromatization (which can lead to man boobs – no thanks).
- It is a mild anabolic steroid, meaning even if you took a high Primobolan dosage, it won’t convert into estrogen or trigger breast enlargement (and we’re not talking about the ladies – we mean breast development in men! Thanks, but no thanks).
- Improves active and total testosterone by promoting sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) and luteinizing hormone (LH).
- It produces little to no side effects compared to other top anabolic steroids which commonly cause liver toxicity and damage; enlarged breasts, shrunken testicles or a higher voice; mood swings/roid rage. Instead, with PCT and careful dosages you can avoid all of these.
- Its performance enhancing effects can last for months – yep, your hard work won’t disappear in a cloud of smoke. Instead, Primobolan will protect your lean muscle tissues from wastage; will encourage increased fat burn, and will help you to maintain your muscle gains long after you stop.
- Its strength building capabilities – Primobolan can help you to improve your strength without adding too much muscle mass, which is handy for athletes who aren’t bodybuilders.
- It encourages improved muscle recovery and endurance.
- It is a good fat burner as it helps to raise your metabolic rate.
How Primobolan works
Methenolone is a derivative of DHT (or to be more precise – is a structurally altered form of DHT). It contains an added double bond at carbon one and two, which helps to increase this hormone’s anabolic nature. It also carries an additional 1-methyl group that protects it from hepatic breakdown. The presence of the acetate ester further protects it from hepatic metabolism.
Its oral form is especially beneficial, as it is the only oral steroid to NOT be a C17-aa steroid. Now whilst the lack of C17-aa means it’s not toxic to your liver, it also means it is mild/considered weak compared to other steroids i.e. most men won’t experience the same level of anabolic activity.
That is why a lot of men prefer to use Primobolan Depot – as the injection is stronger – whilst women usually stick to the oral form due to these very same mild effects.
In many ways Primobolan works like other anabolic steroids. It boosts protein synthesis (to a degree) and it will moderately increase your red blood cell count.
However, it has got three distinguishing features that make it different to the others:
- It dramatically improves nitrogen retention, ensuring catabolic states are avoided and that you are able to successfully build lean muscle tissue. True these gains won’t be massive, but they will still be impressive.
- It has got a strong binding affinity for androgen receptors which has been linked to direct lipolysis. Now, whilst all anabolic steroids can increase your metabolic rate, Primobolan is believed to directly support fat loss, making it perfect for cutting.
- Studies have found that it can significantly enhance your immune system. In fact, it has successfully been used in the treatment of AIDS, offering individuals an immunity boost as well as protection from muscle wastage.
Primobolan dosage and cycles
The ideal Primobolan dosage for men is approximately 200-400mg per week, or 50-150mg per day (if you’re competing). For women, this is dramatically less at just 50-100mg a week (although some studies suggest 25-75mgs per day is safe).
- Stacking : it is best stacked with Deca Durabolin, Testosterone, Trenbolone, Masteron, Anavar, Winstrol, Dianabol, Clenbuterol, T3 or Anadrol.
- Towards the end/after the end of your cycle, it is suggested that you use Nolvadex, HCG or Clomid, as this helps to enhance the bioavailability of any other steroids you have used during your cycle, whilst preventing any estrogenic side effects e.g. oily skin, acne, bloating or gynecomastia.
- Due to its reputation for being a good fat burner, Primobolan is often used by athletes between cycles – during their ‘off-time’ – as it helps them to maintain muscle mass and any strength gains they’ve made. In fact, doing a Primobolan cycle for pre-contest cutting is not uncommon amongst competing bodybuilders.
- Typical Primobolan cycle – no matter the amount you take – the low 50mg a day to the competing 100mg – Primo is usually used as part of an 8 week cycle. Note here how we said ‘part of the cycle’? Well, this is because Primo’s total use should not extend beyond 6 weeks. As a result, many athletes will split the cycle and will use multiple anabolic steroids e.g. men often start off with Sustanon 250 and Anadrol for the first 2 weeks; Sustanon 250, Anadrol and Nolvadex from weeks 2-4, before switching to Sustanon 250, Primobolan and Nolvadex from weeks 5-8, and then finishing with just Nolvadex for 2 weeks.
NOTE : for those using Primo for the first time, your Primobolan cycle only be 25mg per day.
- Women – whilst those competing can manage a 25-50mg dose of Primobolan a day ; it is recommended that women take smaller doses of Primo and pair it with Anavar.
What are Primobolan side effects/dangers?
Primobolan may be milder than other anabolic steroids and promise safer results; however, misuse – like with all things – can result in some pretty nasty side effects. Even though there aren’t many scientific studies on the drug (aside from on rats), people who have used the steroid have reported many bad side effects.
Common Primobolan side effects include: depression, acne, oily skin, hair loss/balding, excess body hair, increases in bad cholesterol, and gynecomastia (this usually only occurs if it has been stacked with another anabolic steroid).
Obviously, if you keep to safe, lower dosages, the chance of these side effects happening should be minimal. However, we do advise leaning on the side of caution – especially if you are already predisposed to them e.g. you’ve got sensitive skin.
Women especially should be careful.
Yes, it is considered one of the safer anabolic steroids for women; however, it isn’t completely exempt from virilization. Stray from the recommended dosage and you could end up with excess body hair, a deeper voice, menstrual cycle issues and balding (note: these side effects will disappear rapidly if you discontinue using it).
In addition, it is not recommended for anyone who has been diagnosed with testicular atrophy, testicular cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer, liver damage, kidney damage, stroke, high blood pressure or respiratory problems.
Similarly, you need to be careful if you’ve already taken Prasterone, Tamoxifen, DHEA or Androstenedione as it can trigger aromatization.
Now at this point it is important that we bring up testosterone suppression. Primobolan isn’t immune to it and will suppress natural testosterone production to a degree. Admittedly, it is a lot less than other anabolic steroids; however, it will happen unless you add PCT/exogenous therapy to your cycle to ensure a speedy recovery.
Other things to bear in mind:
- Never take multiple doses – even if you’ve missed one. Simply skip it and stick to the scheduled time and dose of your next one. This is especially true if it is less than 6 hours before your next Primobolan dosage.
- Oral Primobolan is not considered a hepatotoxic steroid as there is no data that it will cause liver stress. HOWEVER – and it is a big however – William Llewellyn reported a case of an elderly man suffering from liver toxicity, failure and death following use of Primobolan. True, this is the only instance to happen in 50 years, but its existence means you should again be careful.
On a positive note, Primobolan does not aromatize or cause water retention as it carries no progestin nature. In addition, as it doesn’t cause excess water storage, and it won’t trigger any blood pressure issues.
Given how hard it is to find this anabolic steroid; it is little wonder that it is surrounded by speculation.
Can it help you to burn fat, build muscle and promote lean muscle mass growth? YES. Can it protect you from muscle wastage during a calorie deficient? YES. Is it safe for men AND women? YES – women can escape virilization and achieve subtle muscle gains.
But here is the thing…
Despite its mild anabolic effects and promising bodybuilding results, at the end of the day this steroid is 100% illegal. There is no getting around it!